Visiting Friends & Relatives
These pages aim to provide you with all the information you need if you are coming to Bedford Hospital to visit a friend or a relative.
Finding Your Way Around
To download a map of the Bedford Hospital South Wing site please click on the following link:
If you still are unsure of your way around the hospital, staff on the main reception desk will be happy to assist you upon your arrival. Alternatively, you can phone ahead before your visit on 01234 355 122.
Visiting times on all wards (except maternity, paediatrics and the neonatal unit) are 2pm to 5.30pm and 6.15pm to 8pm. Visiting is not permitted between 5.30pm and 6.15pm, unless by prior agreement and arrangement with ward staff, because the hospital has signed up to the protected mealtimes scheme to provide patients with uninterrupted time and a relaxing environment in which to eat their meals.
Visiting times for maternity, paediatrics and the neonatal unit are different to other wards. To find out more about the ward you are visiting, please visit the ward information pages.
If you are travelling from far away, it is a good idea to phone ahead to check that there are no additional visiting restrictions in place on 01234 355122.
Visiting can be extended in certain cases, such as where visitors are coming a long way to visit or if the patient is very poorly.
Visitors’ Code of Conduct
When visiting a relative or friend on a ward, we ask that you follow the visitors code of conduct whichis in place for the safety and well-being of our patients.
- Only two visitors are permitted per bed;
- Children under the age of eight are not permitted on the ward unless agreed by the nurse in charge;
- Children must be supervised at all times;
- Only visit for short periods, and please allow patients time to rest before their next visitors arrive;
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the hospital site;
- Please turn off your mobile phone when entering the hospital site;
- Flowers and plants are not permitted on the wards for health and safety reasons;
- Do not visit if you are unwell, particularly if you have cold or flu-like symptoms, or if you have had a stomach upset in the last 48 hours
- Always wash your hands with the hand gel provided at all entrances when entering or leaving the wards.
Thank you for your cooperation.