Paediatric Services at Bedford Hospital
The Riverbank Children’s Unit operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and provides a child and family-friendly environment with modern, high quality and evidence-based integrated care.
The unit has a strong consultant team who continue to develop our services with our enhanced nursing team.
As well as general paediatrics, each specific service offered at the unit has a consultant lead and named nurses to support clinics and care in Riverbank. We now have consultants with subspecialty expertise and have been developing pathways for children with community and tertiary centre colleagues to deliver care in the most appropriate place for our children.
We also have specialist nurses who provide care both in hospital and in the community for Diabetes, Asthma, Cystic Fibrosis, Oncology and Blood disorders and we are developing these roles in Epilepsy with community colleagues.
We now have consultants with subspecialty expertise and continue to develop pathways for children with community and tertiary centre colleagues to deliver care in the most appropriate place for our children.
Services available at Riverbank Unit
We deliver both elective (planned) and non-elective (emergency) inpatient care to infants, children and young people:
- Outpatient services
- Children assessment unit, where children are first seen and assessed when referred by GPs, via the A&E department or via open access after a conversation with a consultant on duty
- Ambulatory care for planned care, including specialist immunisation and vaccinations
- Children’s surgery
- Inpatient stays, which includes frequent assessment and review to ensure children stay for the relevant time in hospital and are discharged appropriately to care in the community or transferred to a tertiary centre (e.g. Addenbrooke’s/Great Ormond Street Hospital. We have 14 cubicles, 5 with en-suite facilities
- Indoor and outdoor play areas supported by a team of play specialists
- A purpose-built school room in partnership with Gray’s academy to support children continue with their studies.