Friends of Bedford Hospital raise funds for A&E equipment
March 14, 2017
After a successful fundraising campaign, the Friends of Bedford Hospital Charity recently purchased two new state of the art ventilators for Bedford Hospital’s Accident and Emergency department.
The addition of such ventilators promises to be hugely beneficial to patients, particularly amongst the elderly and those short of breath. Having such easy access to them in the A&E department will also relieve pressure on staff and increase the efficiency on how patients are treated in the unit.
Felicity Scott, Chair of the Friends of Bedford Hospital said, “The charity feels privileged to have worked towards such a worthwhile goal – and to have done it just before the cold snap of weather arrived was especially great as these machines help combat the very breathing problems that the cold and the damp exacerbate.”
Dr Stuart Lloyd, A&E Consultant at Bedford Hospital said, “I’d like to thank the Friends of Bedford Hospital and all those who donated, for making it possible for us to buy these vital pieces of equipment which are now in use and making a great difference to the patients we treat”.
Commenting on the previous winter pressures of the hospital, Dr Lloyd added, “The new equipment could not have come at a better time, as we saw an increasing number of patients recently with breathing difficulties brought on by the previous cold weather. Although we are now in spring another cold snap could arrive any time so don’t forget your regular medication if you have COPD or any other respiratory problem as this could prevent you from visiting us and enable you to stay well.”
Important Stay Well advice
- Visiting your pharmacist in the first instance can often mean preventing unnecessary trips to hospital
- Pharmacists are trained professionals. During cold snaps of weather they are a great source of help with coughs, colds, aches and pains
- Many minor ailments can be treated at home. See http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pharmacy/Pages/home-remedies-for-common-conditions.aspx for some home remedies
- Relying on medication means running out is a problem. Get repeat prescriptions in early
- If you’re living with a long-term health issue and start to feel unwell, take action and speak to your local pharmacist
- Children get colds quite often as their immune systems are still developing. Some useful tips here: http://ow.ly/9PSE309vJxc